The father of hydrotherapy, a 19th century Bavarian monk, believed that by encouraging and improving waste removal, specifically via water manipulation, disease could be vanquished from the body. Father Sebastian Kneipp helped to popularize hydrotherapy in Europe and Asia. Today, in North America, this treatment is commonly prescribed by those who favor naturopathic methods.
Some additional benefits of hydrotherapy include:
- dramatically increasing the elimination of waste, thus assisting detoxification
- loosening tense, tight muscles and encouraging relaxation
- increasing the metabolic rate and digestion activity
- hydrating the cells, improving skin and muscle tone
- boosting the immune system, allowing it to function more efficiently
- improving the function of the internal organs by stimulating their blood supply