Serenity Walk in Tub Blog

Welcome to the Serenity Walk in Tubs Blog

How to Apply for a HISA Grant

FFTo apply, the Veteran must first provide:

•A completed VA Form 10-0103, VETERANS APPLICATION FOR ASSISTANCE In Acquiring Home Improvement and Structural Alterations ◦If a leased or rented property, written permission from the owner

◦Quotes from at least 3 licensed contractors (if required by state law), to include: ◾The contractors name, address, telephone, and Federal tax ID number or social security number

◾The Veteran’s name, address, and telephone number

◾Plans and drawings

◾An itemized list of estimated materials, cost, and labor cost

◾All permits required (it is the contractors responsibility to obtain these)


◦A picture of the work site prior to construction

HISA Limitations

tubHere at Serenity Walk-In Bathtubs, we know a good thing when we see it. But, no good thing is perfect. Here’s what you need to know about the current limits on HISA Grants.

The HISA program is available for both service-connected Veterans and non-service-connected Veterans. On May 5, 2010 the President signed the Caregiver and Veterans Omnibus Health Service Act of 2010, increasing the amounts available under the HISA grant.

Home improvement benefits up to $6,800 may be provided for a:

  • service-connected condition
  • non-service-connected condition of a Veteran rated 50 percent or more service-connected

Home improvement benefits up to $2,000 may be provided to all other Veterans registered in the VA health care system.


Home Improvement Grant Details

screwsExamples of what HISA will pay for include:

•Allowing entrance or exit from Veteran’s home

•Improving access for use of essential lavatory and sanitary facilities

•Improving access to kitchen and bathroom counters


•Lowered electrical outlets and switches

•Improving paths or driveways

•Improving plumbing/electrical work for dialysis patients

HISA will not pay for:

•Walkways to exterior buildings

•Widening of driveways (in excess of a 7ft x 6ft area)

•Spa, hot tub, or Jacuzzi

•Exterior decking (in excess of 8ft x 8ft)


Disabled Veterans Get Grants!

Photo By: Tracy Olson

Under the Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) program, Veterans with service-connected disabilities or Veterans with non-service-connected disabilities may receive assistance for any home improvement necessary for the continuation of treatment or for disability access to the home and essential lavatory and sanitary facilities.

Do You Qualify for a Home Improvement Grant?

Photo By: Billy Alexander

A HISA grant is available to Veterans who have received a medical determination indicating that improvements and structural alterations are necessary or appropriate for the effective and economical treatment of his/her disability. A Veteran may receive both a HISA grant and either a Special Home Adaptation (SHA) grant or a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant.

Serenity Walk-In Bathtubs would love to help American Veterans live a more independent life. Check out your options today!